Tuesday, November 10, 2009

4 Ingredients of Happiness

Life is a little different here. I'm not sure if it's the people, or the pace, or the attitude... I really don't know.

We are told that "Ticos" (a.k.a. Costa Ricans) consider happiness to consist of four ingredients:
1) A spouse
2) A little house
3) A job
4) God

It's refreshing, from a North American point-of-view, that there are places in the world where God still makes the list.

I'm leading the next men's breakfast here, and one of the things I want to talk about at the breakfast is: In my own, personal, "pursuit of happiness", how often have I measured my success by my marital status, possessions, or occupation? And have I understood the necessity of God, or have I concentrated more on expecting God to provide me the other items?

In fact, there is only one ingredient to happiness. I'll let you guess which one.

Candice and I really want to take this opportunity as foreigners in a far-away land to break our old molds, our old habits, our old mindsets, and let God reinvent us. To be sure, this is an on going process. Life is very difficult, and adapting to our new home, new lives, and new roles is very straining, so please keep those prayers coming. We do feel, though, absolutely, that there is nowhere else we'd rather be, and that in serving here for the next few months, we may be transformed into a slightly more accurate image of Him.

I've got a long way to go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Candice and Tom. My name is John and I'm from Montreal. I would love to get in touch with you to find out more about your work in CR. Could you please e-mail me at jpsami80@yahoo.ca

Q&L said...

Hey guys...haven't been in touch much the last month, yes, it's been a month!! Just want you to know, think bout you lots, lots.
p.s. Candice - Heather came yest to take baby pics of Caden (so adorable, I'll post if she gives me permission)...I showed her the pregnancy pics, she thought they were nice!! Baby is stirring...later :) Love ya