Thursday, November 26, 2009

On a more serious note

Before we left Canada, I anticipated being able to keep those who are interested in our happenings here in Costa Rica up to date on the latest. However, I've found myself posting on more surface-type happenings. But finding the ability to gather thoughts into words, and ordering those words in a logical and meaningful sense in order to capture happenings around us here, in a concise manner, and devoting minimal time to it, to be more than challenging. But what I wrestle with, is that so many people put us on the ground here, and they have the 'right' to know what's all happening, and not just about sunshine and roses.

But I still struggle, erroneously concerned that leaving readers with thoughts of challenges and hurdles negates our work, or it renders readers regretful they'd sponsored this mission. But I'm also concerned about the latter when I post about sunshine and roses.

Not exactly win-win.

However, it's been laid on my heart to share more than I have been. I do ask that you look past the poor grammar, spelling mistakes, and potentially scrambled thoughts; for these are the types of things that stop me from writing more meaningful posts.

Also, let me precede this post with this: There is a lot of sunshine and roses here, honestly.

--

The bible tells us that we are surrounded by spiritual warfare. Considering the topic is scary, and to discuss it publicly often requires great knowledge and a strong viewpoint, it's something I always sort of avoided thinking about back in Canada. It's scary. Honestly. But probably putting it on the back burner, saying to myself "My Lord is greater than Satan, therefore Satan will be crushed... So, I'm good. back to my distractions.." May be scarier.
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." (Ephesians 6:12)
But now I find myself seeing battles, that just don't make sense to be coming from the flesh. But why are these types of things not so obvious to me in the Canadian culture? Is that it? Is it just culture? And, because I am from the Canadian culture I'm used to customs, desires, unwritten rules, happenings, and distractions of that 'culture' and I don't see them as possibly being from a much worse source?

We are told to be in the world, but not of the world ... But am I not of Canada if I fail to be alerted by the garbage that transpires there, too? Even in my own life? Why am I not overwhelmed with concern when similar things (comparatively speeking) are happening in the lives of others in Canada? Oh sure, we all have problems, and we are human (of the 'flesh'), but are not some of these problems rooted in spiritual warfare? To be sure, I'm not trying to pass the buck, for my Lord is greater and more powerful than satan, but while sitting idle dancing in distractions and continuing to continue on, am I not acting as a mere spectator of warfare? Can you pass the popcorn?


Is it because I have been dropped and submerged into a different culture, that the hairs on the back of my neck are quick to raise when something seems (horribly) off? Or is something more powerful and deeper being revealed to me?

And how am I to respond to this, in either case?

The bible tells me:
"Put on all the armor that God gives you, so that you will be able to stand up against the Devil's evil tricks." (Ephesians 6:11)
Easier said than done, though. Especially because the devil's evil tricks may be involved.

Then there comes a point to which satan may be given too much credit. Maybe this is not due to spiritual warfare. Maybe challenges and obstacles are a direct result of 'flesh'? But is that actually different? Are these not manifested as the same act of un-God-centered-ness? (Because we always have a choice.)

But there are some things that just don't sense to be of the flesh. Let's take a few personal examples over the past week:

After a few days of moral gut checks and prayerful decisions, which manifested in beautiful results, we finally reach Friday, youth night at our house (which we just moved back into). Things were going great, I went to the neighbors to borrow something and proceeded to wipe out on their steps. It wasn't too bad, but, seriously, my Spanish spilled out of my head. I had to rely on a translator for the rest of the night (which doesn't boost the confidence)..
Saturday, a day we reserved and used for a spiritual retreat to focus on our upcoming challenging hike to Chirripo, our house started to fall apart. The sink; literally, I caught it as it started to fall to the ground. The hot water in the shower stopped, half way through my shower. The stove wouldn't work, the lights started to go out, the microwave conked. Yes, yes, after much investigation is was a overworked fuse down the line... So that explains everything, right? Coincidence to have such a distraction on that day? Oh, sure.
Sunday, while taking some friends to a show as a gift, I slipped on the steps of the bus, and proceeded to smash my body on the stairs.
Monday, while training for Chirripo my bowels began to act up... which evolved into feverish chills, gastrointestinal distress and a sleepless night. Why? I had to lay down due to nausiousness, but laying was painful due to a bruised body.
Tuesday... Do I need to continue?



String of bad luck?
Coincidence that our ministry here is becoming well planted, and that we've seen some amazing things come together over prayer, just prior to this all?

I'm not sure about you, but I think not.

13
Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. (Ephesians 6:13-18)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

.

jat said...

C - Hope you are doing better soon, are you taking medications for travellers illness? There is so much to readjust to when you are in a completely foreign situation, and so much from back home to compare it to, it can be hard and seem like a trial. But you have people home thinking of you and praying for you. For you to be able to carry out the work you were meant to do, and also for the work you were meant to recieve, (even if it means wiping out a few times!)
take best care.....

Tiffany said...

Hey Candice - seriously, talk about things as they are, you don't have to sugar-coat stuff. If everything was roses out there you wouldn't be needed right? Keep it real!

And you're right, when things get tough, hang tight to that armor. You can totally brave through the rough patches.

Thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Candice, I have used your well worn shoes.

I am so thankful that God placed you at the sink as it fell, with less damage than might have been. I am thankful that the couch is so close to the bathroom for you ease. I am thankful that you were able to receive the gifts of the translator. Uplifting them in your ministry. I am thankful that bruises only nothing broken. I am very thankful that you found the electrical problem before a fire. Most of all, sweetheart, I praise God that you are real. That you can see with new eyes. I think about it sort of like being aware of bugs flying around, but not focusing on their smallness in the presence of Gods bigness. Stuff happens that we don't "sign up for", but that goes with the territory. Lord knows that I have struggled with that. Oh yes.

Bob & Erica will be a refreshing blessing for you. Allow them to minister to you. They bring with them the uplifting prayers of so many. My prayer will that God is sovrein (I can't spell either) over your body in this situation. YOu will be in His care for the trip. Many many are folding you both up. Keep the "real" specific requests coming. That allows me to be a useful part of the body with you. We love you, and are proud of you both. Just face 30 minutes at a time. Ron & Sheila

Q&L said...

Praying for you. Love you!